Our dirt bikes bring all the boys to the yard. Damn right, they're better than yours.

Friday, July 08, 2005

J'ai un ordinateur

That's right: after three very long, computerless days, those French assholes finally finished "virus scanning" my Mac and gave it back to me. (The worst part? My friend Joanna decided she was just going to lie and tell them she paid the $25 necessary to get it back on the same day, figuring they're so disorganized here that they'd never figure it out. Sure enough, she got her computer back in less than a day, after paying the same amount as me.)

Anyway, I promise I'll start posting regularly (not that it matters, since I don't think anyone is reading this anymore) now that I don't have to use those crazy French keyboards in the "bibliothéque" or, as they call it here, Pavillon Jean-Charles Bonenfant. It's actually kind of ridiculous: every single building here is called Pavillon [insert some French guy's name here], so you have no idea what's in any of them. For example, our residence is Pavillon Agathe-Lacerte, the students' union building is Pavillon Alphonse-Desjardins, the main French language centre is Pavillon Charles-De Koninck, and my classes are in Pavillon Adrien-Pouliot. Retarded!

Anyway, things here have improved a lot since I last posted. I believe I was complaining about the lack of things to do and the lack of interesting people I've met. Well, first of all, classes started on Wednesday, and they take up about half the day. They're split into four periods, just like high school, and we take grammar, oral, and phonetics classes. We haven't done much so far, but strangely enough, it actually seems like they're going to be really interesting for, well, classes on grammar, speaking, and phonetics (phonetics, by the way, is to teach us how to speak with a perfect Québecois accent so we can be horribly ridiculed next time we go to France. Today we learned how to make the French "u" sound—this may seem obvious, but there's actually a very subtle difference in the pronunciation of, for example, dessus and dessous.) So far it seems like it's going to be pretty easy, except for the oral class (speaking is definitely my weak point, but I've made some new friends—like Joanna, who I mentioned earlier—who are much better at French than me, and who are good to practice with).

I've also been doing a lot more now that I've met some more people. On Wednesday we finally made it into Vieux Québec, which is beautiful, just as I'd expected (basically, it feels like you leave Canada and enter Europe as soon as you cross through the old walls. I took a bunch of pictures but, of course, forgot to bring the cable I need to transfer them to my computer so I can post them, so you'll have to wait until I get back to see them). A bunch of us went together, including me, that Stephanie girl I mentioned in my last post, Joanna, an Portugese-American named Jennifer, a Saskatchewanian (?) named Sean, and a guy from Venezuela named Nelson. As we were getting a guy from Toronto to take a picture of all of us in front of a statue of Champlain, it hit me that we looked exactly like those incredibly posed photos of students on exchanges you always see in brochures and on websites: happy, ethnically diverse, and standing in front of some big monumemnt.

Anyway, I have to run right now, as we're going on a guided tour of the city at 3pm. I'll continue this tonight.

3 Comments:

Anonymous "yan" said...

Uhhh... French asshole = connard (or abruti). More literally, try trou de queue.

Always happy to foster a positive dialogue between the two solitudes...

7:17 PM

 
Anonymous Dave (Berry) said...

Man, you know what I hate? How we call everything here "building". The Students' Union Building, the Central Academic Building, the Biological Sciences Building: how can you possibly tell what's in all these buildings? Really.

7:57 PM

 
Anonymous iain said...

At least there's no Pavillon Telus.

1:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home